- About Us
Frank Wiewel - Member
Options: Revolutionary Ideas in the War on Cancer
Frank D. Wiewel - A Biography
* For the past eighteen years, Frank D Wiewel and his wife Denise have led the struggle for medical freedom of choice in America and throughout the world.
* Frank Wiewel was a successful Columbia Records recording artist, engineer and producer, with five records to his credit. In July 1985, he happened to be in Freeport, Bahamas, accompanying his sick father-in-law, when the Bahamian government, at the instigation of the United States National Cancer Institute (NCI) shut down Dr Lawrence Burton’s Immuno Augmentative Therapy (IAT) cancer clinic.
* The IAT patients asked Frank to become first president of their association. Frank and Denise led them in a march on Washington and drafted the petition for an evaluation of innovative therapies, signed by 43 Congressmen. Frank was the original requestor of this Office of Technology Assessment (OTA) study entitled, Alternative Cancer Therapies and testified at the Congressional Hearings. As a result, the IAT Clinic was reopened.
* In 1986, Frank and his wife Denise founded People Against Cancer and organized the International Coalition for the Evaluation of Alternative Cancer Therapies. Frank has worked with thousands of people with cancer, health activists, as well as over 50 members of Congress; done guest appearances on Design for Living, Natural Living, Beyond Health, For the People, and other radio programs; prominently featured interviews in The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Des Moines Register, Scientific American Science, East West, etc; and publications in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) and the IACVF Journal. Frank has tirelessly fought for the fair testing of innovative, non toxic cancer therapies.
* In 1993, Frank became a founding member of the Office of Alternative Medicine (OAM) in the National Institutes of Health (NIH). In 1994, Frank was chosen to be the Chairman of the Pharmacological and Biological Treatments Committee and chosen to serve a four-year term on the National Advisory Board of the Office of Alternative Medicine. Scientific American wrote, “The Establishment of the Office of Alternative Medicine constitutes a victory for Frank Wiewel.”
* Through People Against Cancer, Frank has created and administrates the Alternative Therapy Program (ATP), a program to evaluate treatment options for people with cancer and physicians. Frank has also created and organized the International Physicians Network (IPN) to provide innovative treatment options for people with cancer. In 1996, Frank launched the Alternative Therapy Evaluation Program (ATEP) to conduct scientific evaluations, both retrospective and prospective, of innovative treatments for cancer worldwide.
* Frank is the editor of a critically acclaimed newsletter: Options: New Directions in the War on Cancer.
* Frank remains People Against Cancer's founding executive and runs this grassroots organization from his base in Otho, Iowa (pop. 650), where he lives with his wife, Denise and their daughters Megan and Allison.